I want to put a Supra 5 speed in my sedan!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    andrew-avis
    Participant
    andrew-avis
    Participant

has anyone done it? i keep smashing triumph O/D boxes and diffs for that matter

britishcarfreak
    Keymaster

hi avis, graeme reading at vinaka pty ltd in moonah tasmania (has used greg tunstall before and seems to have a relationship with him at a business level) has built a 2 door pi convertible out of shortening a 2500 saloon. he put a supra box in that and is very very happy. you guys should have his number. graeme is the guy that helped me put my 2.7PI motor together and into my car

andrew-avis
    Participant

is a 5 speed a good conversion? what are they like to drive? are the ratios a good match to the car?

GlenC

I’m following this topic with interest too. I just purchased a 2500S auto which I eventually want to convert to manual, and while I could use a genuine gearbox for the conversion, I think the remaining original boxes may be better off kept for keeping manual cars on the road rather than used up converting auto cars to manual transmission.

(Especially the way I hear some of you lot talking about smashing gearboxes!)

Cheers, Glen.

NickJones

Resurrecting a pretty ancient topic I know, but those thinking of Toyota Supra conversions should probably check this out. They do bell housings for the Triumph 6 cyl to suit Toyota W series boxes (incl Supra, Celica 6, Hilux 2wd, Cressida etc)

http://www.dellowauto.com.au/

Australian too – which is good for you but not so good for me (UK). Be interested to hear how you get on as they don’t seem to want to answer my emails.

Nick

RobbinsBM

Hi Folks,

The 5 speed conversion using the Toyota box is quite popular with the TR6 boys in the USA.

One chap has created an excellent conversion kit which should be equally applicable to the saloons.

Check out:
    http://www.hvdaconversions.com/pgs-fina … rsion.html

This from Dick Taylor (6pack mailing list)
    From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Sally or Dick Taylor
    Sent: Sunday, 27 November 2005 2:43 p.m.
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Re:HVDA 5 speed

I’ve had my Celica 5 speed in for about 18 months, 10,000 miles. As you know, I had tons of miles on the non-od TR box, and repairs were eminent. Having a taller (.782) fifth gear offered by one of the Toyota boxes looked like the right ticket. Herman’s conversion kit was improved to where it was no longer necessary to remove the differential to install the Toyota box.

The 5 speed that I have does indeed have a first gear "lower" than the stock TR6. Possibly more like the TR3 or TR4, which is about 10% lower than the 3.14 ratio we’re familiar with. Not exactly a granny gear, but you can tell the difference.

The hydaulic throwout bearing option is certainly a plus, forever discarding the woes of the slave, cross shaft and fork pin hardware. The clutch dis/engages at about half the pedal distance. In fact, a stop bolt is used to limit this movement. (Or I suppose the pushrod could be
    shortened)

The Toyota input shaft is splined differently than the TR shaft, so a Toyota clutch disc and t/o bearing is used, with whatever presure plate you fancy. I used my old B&B.

All the info and parts (excluding the transmission) to do this conversion is included with the HVDA kit. If you feel you are capable of replacing a TR clutch, you can do this swap.

The cost of any used transmission is negotiable, but the ones I found were between $150 and $250.

Dick Taylor
    ’73
    Los Angeles

Hope that helps!
    Bernard

NickJones

Thanks for that link – very interesting!

Having failed to find anyone who would sell me a bell housing at a sensible price I made my own hybrid Triumph/Toyota one. Details at

https://triumphowners.com/574

if you have not seen already. Space is very tight on the Vitesse/GT6 but for Saloons/TRs/Stag, should be pretty straight forward.

Hope to get mine actually installed and working within the next few weeks.

Nick

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account